Thursday, October 9, 2008

Dash for Cash-To Valladolide


I did not get pesos at the airport, not sure why. No ATMs or banks. I have to take a detour and go to Valladolide, not a big deal as it is my favorite city in the Yucatan (modern city). the sides of the roads are full of increadible animals, mostly snakes and butterflys, too many to stop and photograph. More importanly too hot to stop and photograph. Had my first road kill, and i had to stop and take a shot.

This millipede i killed was almost the size of a hotdog. Sorry!

I got a room with Antonio Negro Agular, a very old mexican who used to play baseball in the states. I stayed with him last time i was here, and he has become very old since then. I took the afternoon to see some of the sites again and finally eat some food. Mole chiken!



Templo de San Bernardino, a covenet build from a Maya temple dismantled by the spanish.


Cenotes are very important to the Yucatan Maya (because the Yucatan is all limestone, water sinks below the surface creating vast underwater rivers and caves, among the largest in the world. Cenotes are created when the roof of the cave falls in). At San Bernardino, the spanish build this enclosure for a cenote on the site, probably much of this structure below the floor is prehispanic.




Valladolide is a very active city, but there are still many abandon homes. This one is just pouring over with plants.

This is me eating a ¿taco?



Maya temples AND bikes! I totally came to the right place.

This guy has no idea what electronica is! I´ll have to show him how to build synths next time around.

1 comment:

norm said...

I met Mr. Agular in 1983, he had a sporting goods store at the time. It is good to hear he is still kicking. He helped me find a guy to pound out a dent I put in my rental VW.