Monday, November 3, 2008

10-31-08 Halloween and Some Haunted Ruins

Pablo and I started out for the Ruins of Rio Bec. The Rio Bec style is named after these ruins. These are ruinS because it is not a single site, but over 70 small clusters located over a good sized area. These ruins are infamous for the their difficulty to reach. Not only does the area flood frequently, but the thick vegitation has made it nearly impossible to relocate some of these groups after they have been found (before GPS).

Typically you need a 4w high clearance vechicle to reach the ruins, but this is expenisve and I like to ride the dirt roads on my bike. The ruins are out in the forest though a maze of dirt roads. I got some directions out of an old book and was willing to give it a try. The road was rough. Much of it was exposed bedrock which was wet and covered in a mossy slime rendering it very slippery. I actually fell, and the bedrock is very hard. This was all well and good, but then we hit the mud. My wheels locked up because the mud caked everywhere. Walking was hard too. We decided the bikes where useless and went on by foot. The mud was so thick and sticky we could hardly walk. The road kind river too when it rained. We quickly came upon a new substance that i believe was quicksand. It was only about 8 inches deep, but you sank right into it. Harder to walk though than 3 feet of snow. I had to Pull Pablo out of only about a foot of it. If it was much deeper it would be a nightmare. We had to turn back, I had to carry my bike, the wheels just did not turn. When I took the time to clean off the mud, it was about 20 feet before the wheels locked up again. That was that. I knew there was a second way to get there. If fact after talking with people knowbody had known about this route.

Mud sooo sticky!

This was just sludge, and it is hard to see, but the bottom was at least 4´deep. I cannot imagine a car passing though this.

We where close to more ruins of course since there are ruins everywhere here. Hormiguero just down the road was reported to be haunted by disembodied voices, but have no idea if there is any truth. I heard nothing. Structure 2 is the best preserved monstermouth doorway in the Rio Bec Region, really something to see.

Structure 2, a twin tower with a monster mouth doorway built on a grand scale. I look like I am 3´tall here.

A well preserved mask panel on the wall.

Sealed rooms inside one of the towers that have been opened by looters. Pablo is in one of the openings.
A second twin tower with a monstermouth doorway. The mask panel has been uncovered by looters. Their is a tunnel looking for more chamber inside one of the towers.


Pablos wheel was falling apart like i have never seen. He was lucky to make it home. He got it rebuit in town with ultra heavy spokes.

Distance Rode: 53km
Total: 1147km

No comments: